Dawicke Law
Jason E. Dawicke, Attorney at Law
Dawicke Law
P.O. Box 663
Lewis Center, OH 43035
614.477.7301
DawickeLaw@yahoo.com

Contract Disputes

About 80% of all Ohio employees are subject to employment at-will, which simply means that you may be fired at any given time, for any given reason, or no reason at all, so long as it is not legally discriminatory. The remaining 20% of the workforce is employed in the public sector (i.e. government), by unionized organizations, or have employment contracts.

Government employees typically cannot be terminated without first being afforded due process (usually in the form of a hearing) because they have what is known as a property interest in their positions. Collective Bargaining Agreements negotiated between employers and unions generally require that employers have "just cause" in order to fire an employee.

A very small percentage of employees have specific durational contracts. These contracts specify a length of time (usually expressed in a number of months or years) in which the employer agrees to employ the individual and the individual agrees to work for the company. Typically, these contracts are reserved for high-level management employees, CEO's, and certain professions (i.e. athletes or entertainers). In the absence of some negotiated agreement modifying the terms, these contracts are fully enforceable and must be honored. If there is a material violation of the terms, a breach has occurred, and the non-breaching party will be entitled to damages.

Some employment contracts are not for a specified durational time period, but instead outline the consequences in the event of an unexpected separation of employment. For example, an agreement might include a provision directing that the employer pay the employee a specified amount of money in the event that the employer ends the employment relationship without just cause. Such contracts are fully enforceable, and an employer's failure to honor the terms of the agreement will constitute a breach.

If you feel that your contract has been breached, please complete and submit the following form fields:

All fields are required
Full Name:
Phone Number:
Email Address (if none, enter N/A):
Preferred Method of Contact:
Employer at Issue:
Briefly describe the nature of your contract dispute:
How do you anticipate your employer will respond to your breach allegation?
Submission of this form does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Upon review of your responses, I may offer to represent you. Unless and until you receive a signed letter from me confirming representation, I have not agreed to represent you. In addition, submission of this form does not relieve you from complying with all applicable statutory deadlines required for filing your claim(s) with the appropriate agency or court.